Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Apple Butter Recipe

Grandma sent us this recipe, and I’ve made it twice already.  The first time I made it I messed up on the spices – I put in a tablespoon of cinnamon instead of a teaspoon, and omitted the cloves – I can’t talk on the phone and cook at the same time! – but we liked it that way so I just changed the recipe.  Hot, spicy apple butter is perfect on warm biscuits. BAKED APPLE BUTTER 8 cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped 1 cup cider 2 1/2 cups sugar 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground allspice In large saucepan or kettle, bring chopped apples and cider to a rapid boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until apples are soft and pulpy, about 20 minutes.  Blend sugar into hot pulp. Mix in spices.  Pour into a casserole dish or baking pan.  Cover loosely with foil.  Bake in 400 degree oven for one hour.  Stir frequently until apple butter is thick enough for spreading.  Pour into canning jars and boil in water bath for 10 minutes.

Psst – NaNo word count: 5,008

No comments:

Post a Comment