Monday, November 9, 2009

Sausage and Peppers

To totally mix things up from my last post, I’m going from Indian to Italian.  To me there are few things that say you’re Italian more than sausage and peppers and thus, that’s what I’ve made.

Sausage and Peppers



  • One package of Premio sausages 16oz. (I used the one long strand but the individual ones work well if not better)  Also, I used a sweet basil type but any sweet sausage works fine
  • A mix of different types of sliced peppers- reds, greens, yellows and oranges, whatever you can get- more color= more aesthetically pleasing= more likely to eat and make again
  • sliced onions (about 1/4 of a medium onion will do)

First, you must boil the sausage in a large pan with a few tablespoons of water, 1/4 of a cup max, for a few minutes on each side until the outer casing looks grayish. 

If the water hasn’t evaporated by the time this is done, empty it into a sink and cook the sausage as is on medium heat until the skin begins to brown and flip to do on the other side.

Then, you can add sliced peppers and onions (or slice them first and then add) to the pan.  

Immediately after you should cover them so that they can become a bit soft and can absorb the sausage flavor more easily.  Since I didn’t have a cover, I used a baking pan, which worked well for the most part.  Do this for a few minutes and then remove the pan.  

Keep cooking all the ingredients together, turning the sausage(s) over every few minutes or so.  Also, you can start to begin to add a few tablespoons of water at a time again in order to create a bit of a caramelization of the peppers.

Cook for about 10-15 minutes total.  It should be done when the onions are browned and soft and when you cut into the sausage it shouldn’t really be pink for the most part.

I love this dish because it reminds me of my family and my roots.  More specifically, when I was young, my mother used to cook every night and encouraged my family to eat at the table.  I particularly remember gathering over sausage and peppers (also stuffed peppers but that’s a different dish altogether) and to this day it makes me smile when I eat it.  Not to sound too stereotypical but there’s nothing like food and family. Bon Appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment