Monday, March 22, 2010

Lamb Steaks with Guinness Sauce and Colcannon, Spinach & Cheddar Quiche, Apple Pie

Lamb steaks with Guinness Sauce and Colcannon

St. Patrick’s Day falling midweek this year didn’t really allow enough time to make a nice lamb stew, but I still wanted lamb.  I picked up a couple of lamb steaks from the nearest butcher, where it turned out to be ridiculously cheap.  I simply pan-seared them, then made a quick pan sauce with échalions and Guinness, reduced a bit and then enriched with a little butter.  To accompany, I made colcannon, an Irish dish which in my world usually consists of mashed potatoes with blanched cabbage and leeks stirred in.

Spinach and Cheddar Quiche

The Lenten meat-free Fridays continue.  This week, I took advantage of a recent friend’s delivery of Tillamook cheddar, and made a spinach and cheddar quiche.  A thin layer of caramelized leeks in the bottom really brought it all together.  Simple and satisfying.

Apple pie in the sun

And after a whole season of getting apples every week, I finally made an all-American apple pie!

Originally published on Seasonal Market Menus.

[Via http://seasonalmarketmenus.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment