Sunday, October 11, 2009

Recipe: Cheesy Cheese Scones

Although the recipe made six scones,

there are only five in the photo because we had to taste one!

In continuance of my Domestic Goddess-ness, I have decided that I should really learn to bake as it’s the one big area of cooking that I have never mastered.

Today, out of the blue, I suddenly had a hankering to make cheese scones. I’ve always loved them and have never made them myself, so I had a quick look online and found a simple recipe on BBC Food for which I already had all the ingredients. I then modified it just a teensy bit because I like really, really cheesy scones. So, the final recipe went something like this:

Cheesy Cheese Scones

Prep time: 10-15  minutes

Cooking time: 20-25 minutes

This recipe is very easy to multiply if you want to make a larger batch – 1 part butter and 1 part cheese to 2 parts flour, a large pinch of salt and then add milk to make the soft dough – so you don’t even have to weigh the ingredients if you’re in a hurry!

Ingredients (makes 6 scones):

225g / 8oz self raising flour

Pinch of salt

55g / 2 oz butter

55g / 2oz finely grated strong cheddar

150ml / 5fl oz milk

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven (or in my case, combi-oven) to 220C / 425F / GM 7
  2. Lightly grease baking sheet
  3. Mix together flour and salt, then rub in butter
  4. Add the cheese and then gradually stir in milk with a metal knife (I used my Grom’s trusty “chop-chop-stir method) to a soft dough
  5. Flour a work surface, turn out the dough and knead very lightly
  6. Pat into a round approx. 2cm / ¾” thick and cut out rounds with a cutter (I used a glass – it worked fine!)
  7. Lightly knead together the remaining dough, pat down and cut more rounds till all dough is used (I had to shape the last scone myself without a cutter)
  8. Place scones on the baking sheet and brush with a little milk
  9. Pop in the oven for 20-25mins or until scones are golden and well risen
  10. Cool on a wire rack
  11. Serve with butter and ENJOY!

The verdict on my first ever attempt at scones, cheese or otherwise, was a solid two-thumbs-up – they were scrumptious! (Agreed by myself, Dale and Xander.)  As I used all the flour I had left in the kitchen to make these, I shall have to get some more next weekend as I am definitely making these again.

And as this was such a positive (and lip-smackingly delicious) experience, I have decided that each weekend I will attempt to bake something. Eventually I hope to get round to baking a cake from scratch – then I’ll be able to cross that item off my list of 50 Things To Do Before I’m 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment