Friday, December 4, 2009

Mac'n'Cheese Against the Clock

Macaroni-and-Cheese is my go-to dinner when I don’t really feel like making anything. I can make it on autopilot, but I was wondering recently exactly how long it takes. So I decided to time my making of a single serving of my mac’n'cheese.

00:00 Put covered pan of water on the stove. Start butter melting in separate pan for the roux. Measure pasta, milk and cheese.

05:00 Add pasta to boiling water. Grate and season cheese.

08:00 Add flour to melted butter to make the roux.

10:00 Add milk to the roux for the béchamel.

15:00 Preheat the broiler. Turn off the heat on the béchamel and mix in the cheese.

17:00 Drain pasta and dump into Pyrex dish. Pour cheese sauce over pasta, and garnish with Chevre, bacon bits and black walnut pieces.

19:00 Throw under broiler

20:30 Bon Appétit

I didn’t rush this to see absolutely how fast I could do it, I just did it at normal speed.

There you have it, mac’n'cheese, from scratch, in 20.5 minutes.

[Via http://someamateurfoodie.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment