Monday, December 28, 2009

My First Attempt at Deer Stroganoff

One of my New Year’s Resolutions is to try at least one new recipe a month.

Living on deer & rice casserole has become boring for me, and home cooked meals are far more nutritious than eating out.   I can control all of the ingredients that go in and keep most recipes lower in sodium and fat, which tastes better to me and my husband, Joel.

So- I tried a recipe for crockpot deer cassserole last night.   I have to admit that I didn’t follow the recipe exactly, which may have been the problem.  I also may have used too much wine and I HATE sour cream, so that may have also been the problem.

The recipe was:

1 1/2 lbs thin sliced beef, 4 cloves garlic, 2 medium onions (quartered and thrown in a blender covered with wine and blended until smooth),  salt and pepper to taste and 2 tbsp of paprika.  Cook on low for 4 hours to cook the beef to medium well, then add 1 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with a little water and 16 oz of sour cream.

Here’s what I made:

2 lbs ground deer meat, 2 heaping tbsp pre-minced garlic cloves, 1 large onion (chopped, since I actually like onion and the blending was for people who don’t like onion), salt and pepper and 2 tbsp of paprika, covered in wine (3/4 bottle Charles Shaw Merlot).   I cooked it on low for 10 hours, because I like my meat well done and the deer was frozen when I put it in.  12 hours later when it was on warm I added the cornstarch and the 16 oz of sour cream.   I cooked a pound of brown rice fusilli and added the deer stroganoff to it.

I did taste it but I didn’t like it.  It was extremely tangy and I could taste the wine (I don’t like wine, by the way).

So- that experiment belongs wholly to Joel, who likes wine and sour cream.  Guess I’ll have to try another recipe this month that I can hopefully end up liking when it’s all finished.

[Via http://salenamikos.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment