Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cross-cultural feasts

I’ve been meaning to write about my Christmas holidays for many weeks now.  Even though it’s now February, I’m still compelled to share my adventures.

Over the years, we have been invited to many Christmas open houses and parties. Some have been more adventurous than others – a few of my favorites involved singing carols, playing chimes and observing various Christmas traditions.

This year we were invited to our friends’, Adrian and Amy’s, house. They moved to California with their daughter Alexa two years ago and like any newcomers making their way into the community, they have done their share. I met both through tennis (my favorite sport these days), where Adrian is a local tennis coach. On December 24th, they hosted a Christmas Eve open house, just like how Amy’s parents did back in Western Kentucky where she grew up. This year she was fortunate to have her parents, aunt and uncle, her sister and her grandparents in town for the holidays.

Amy and Family

Amy (on left) her parents and her sister

I was amazed at the grand feast that Amy had prepared for her guests. Boiled Custard, champagne and wine flowed. I have never had such thick and sweet custard, and before I knew it I had gulped down three cups of yummy custard.

Amy's Christmas Feast

Amy's Christmas Feast

As is customary in Amy’s traditional Christmas Eve feast, the array of food included meatballs, ham and biscuits. The country ham, which was cured in salt, was shipped in from Kentucky. The biscuits, which they called angel biscuits, were made from yeast dough instead of the regular biscuit dough. With a dollop of pepper jelly, the ham biscuits were a delicious combination of sweet and spicy.

The feast continued with steamed shrimp served with cocktail sauce and lots of horseradish sauce, served warm. She then had me try Captain Rodney’s dip, an annual treat that Amy’s aunt brought to their Christmas Eve party when she was growing up in Kentucky. It includes cream cheese and sharp cheese baked and garnished with cracker crumbs, bacon pieces, with green onions with scotch bonnet pepper sauce drizzled on top and served with crackers. That was a dip never to be forgotten! I then enjoyed trying another dip – spinach with water chestnuts served in a bread bowl. Both were delicious and fulfilling. For dessert, there was German chocolate cake, fresh coconut cake, mocha chocolate torte, cheese cake with cranberry and grand marnier sauce as well as chocolates. As you can imagine, I completely over indulged! This was my first time experiencing a Kentucky Christmas and it was one I shall not soon forget!

My other friends, Catherine and Christopher, have a unique tradition for Christmas. They choose a different country to celebrate each Christmas and this year, to my surprise, they chose India. Catherine, who has attended and hosted our cooking demos, said she “…felt confident cooking Indian after attending some of the Neeliyam cooking demos.” I was so pleased that my demos had inspired her to try Indian cooking in her own kitchen.

Catherine wisely did her prep the day before Christmas. I think this was a key to her success. So what was on the menu? Hors d’oeuvres included Butternut Squash Soup as well as Samosas and Golgappa chaat, served with mint chutney. Catherine raved about the Golgappas and said they were “easiest thing in the world” to make and were a “HUGE hit…delicious!” The main entree included palak paneer, fish molee, 3C rice, dal, pappadums, coconut chutney. For dessert Catherine served cardamom cookies – a perfect finishing touch!

Catherine making Samosas

Catherine making Samosas based on my recipe

According to Catherine, all present enjoyed the meal – including her two young boys. I send Catherine congratulations on successfully bringing new tastes to her table. I only wish I was there on Christmas to taste her Indian feast!

Are you feeling adventurous too? Try out my Indian recipes in your own kitchen. I’d love to hear all about it.

[Via http://neeliyam.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment