Wednesday, February 10, 2010

'Grey Gardens' and avgolemono

There’s a Greek restaurant at the bottom of Fremont Ave near the bridge called Costas Opa. It was here that I had my first experience with avgolemono soup; the Greek lemon and egg soup. Whipped eggs make the soup thick and lemon juice makes it heavenly. I found a recipe on Delish and decided to try my hand and whipping eggs and trying to cook slowly.

I started out by de-thawing 3 chicken breasts and simmering 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth and two cups of water on the stove. I simmered the chicken in the broth for about 10 minutes cooking it through, then I took it out and cut it up into chunks on a plate. The recipe called for long-grain rice, but I really like orzo (and had a half-empty box) so I used that instead. After the orzo was cooked, I turned the stove onto low and I beat three eggs and 3+ tablespoons of lemon juice. The recipe said to use a glass or stainless steel bowl, so I used a small glass Pyrex bowl and definitely thought I was going to break it. Luckily, Pyrex is an amazing brand and withstood the constant beating. I slowly mixed in a cup of the warm chicken broth until it was frothy, then slowly mixed all that back into the big pot. After that was all said in done, I stirred in the chicken and bowled up some!

Salad and soup, yummy

Sorry it’s a bit dark. I really need to find a better way to take pictures of all my creations. My roommate made this awesome light box for her art projects, but we need to find a bigger box! I also need to invest in some plain dishes.

The soup turned out really well. It’s been a long time since I’ve had avgolemono so it’s hard to compare it’s hard to compare the two. My soup definitely could’ve used more lemon juice and probably some salt. I figured since I was using chicken broth I didn’t need any, but apparently low sodium actually does make a difference… So the recipe says that to reheat the soup, warm it in a pot so you don’t end up actually cooking the egg. Well, I’m taking it for lunch tomorrow, and here’s to hoping I don’t end up with an orzo and chicken omelette… Question of the day – worst reheating incident that’s ever happened to you?

[Via http://fatkidconfidential.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment