Friday, January 29, 2010

Alton Brown: Kitchen Hero

I love to watch food network.  It may seem a little cliche that a fat girl likes food.  Not every fat girl, however, likes watching things made that she will never eat, let alone make. 

One exception to this is Alton Brown.  Last night I attempted to make a cheesecake.  Alton showed us a semi-easy recipe on his show recently (or maybe it wasn’t recent and I just DVRed a repeat).  I’m sure it would actually be easy if I had a stand mixer and a springform pan.  I made due with a hand mixer and a store bought graham crust.  I also threw leftover batter into muffin cups.  The muffin cups were a disaster.  They rose, then fell, and I also tried to eat one before I chilled it.  It totally sucked.  I thought my actual cheesecake was going to be a huge waste of effort and ingredients.  I dutifully let it sit, then chilled it.  This evening I pulled it out after dinner and cut a sample sliver.  It was great!  I of course then ate a real sized peice.  I think next time I’ll have to invest in a springform pan to not only use all of my filling, but to make the cheesecake a little thicker and more cheesecake-y. 

Other things Alton has taught me are incredibly useful.  By simply altering the sugar, butter,  and/or baking soda/powder ratios in a cookie recipe I can have cookies to fit my mood.  Crunchy cookies, chewy cookies, soft cookies, etc. are all within my grasp. 

Less useful episodes are ones that involved crustaceans.  I’m not big on eating giant sea bugs. Ew.  Also, I don’t see myself brewing my own beer, brining anything, or preparing wassail for any reason.  It is nice to know that if I change my mind, Alton has my back though. 

Too bad neither of us is single.

[Via http://fatgirlintheskinnyworld.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment