Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Good Eats = Good Reads

ALTON BROWN TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!!!!!

This weekend my husband and I decided that I probably have too many hobbies. I’m not really an expert at anything, I have pretty general knowledge about most things, but I can’t stand up in a room and give you a dissertation on running, painting, reading, cooking, piano, hiking,  people or the human condition.

Nope. Can’t do it.

Shocking right?

But you know what!? Out of all of those cooking really has become a true passion of mine. I find myself wanting to just cook all the time, and I blast myself and my kitchen whenever I am missing an ingredient or a special gadget. I also curse myself whenever I have no idea what the damn cook book is talking about – you know what I’m talking about right? Blanch this, double boil that, imulsify blah blah blah. ARG! I’m clueless.

So the hubs suggested this. Take one hobby, and figure out as much as you can about it. Read all the books you can find, test all the theories yourself, enjoy getting to know the ins-and-outs of whatever you choose…and by the way, can you choose food because I know my belly would love it.

And of course I obliged.

So I’m on a quest.

I’m on a quest to cook the hell out of some food. I’m also on a quest to know everything I can about gadgets, gizmos, flotsam, jetsam and whatever I can get my hands on when it comes to home cuisine. Lord knows I can’t go to culinary school now…so I am going to have to do all of this by trial and error. Oh I can’t wait!

So here is my first school book purchase:

OH Alton! You are my hero! Here is a blurb from his website about the book:

“The minute AB put the final touches to Good Eats: The Early Years, he was on a plane en route to shooting Next Iron Chef, but he wanted folks to know — October 2009, the first book of the trilogy hits bookstore shelves. It was an awesome task, putting the first 80 episodes into one tome, but he packed in 140 recipes (with updates), a ton of scientific data, factoids and tips, along with screen grabs, behind-the-scene photos and AB-style illustrations.

Starting with the premier episode, “Steak Your Claim” through “Pork Fiction” (baby back ribs), to “Citizen Cane” (caramel sauce), to “Oat Cuisine” (oatmeal), the first 4 years’ episodes are all represented, with the second volume due out Fall 2010.”

And what the website doesn’t tell you, is that the book is chalked full of facts about cooking, gadgets, food in general, technique, etc! It’s like having your own personal professor in the house!

So I’ll have to keep you updated on how the book translates into yummy food, but for the time being, I’m stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment