Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Two Recipes for Tuesday (Part 3)

I have been a little slack lately with my recipe updates. To be honest I haven’t really been in the mood to cook dinners at all lately, least of all trying out new recipes!! We have been having some pretty odd meals actually – most of the time I just shove a few randoms on a big plate with a lump of rice and call it dinner LOL

Today though I am going to share with you 2 very delicious recipes  I made over the weekend. Both were winners. I would definitely recommend them and I know they will be made here quite often!

It’s a complete dinner I am blogging about today – the main course and dessert to finish

Chicken & Potato Bake (serves 4)

Ingredients:

* 6 small potatoes

* 2 chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced

* 1 teaspoon season-all (I didn’t have this so I used roast chicken seasoning, but I think you could use anything or even skip it altogether.)

* 1 brown onion, roughly chopped

* 3 rashers of bacon, diced

* 5 button mushrooms, sliced

* some minced garlic

* 300mls cream

* 50g grated cheese

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease the base of lasagna dish. Layer half of the potatoes into the dish.

2) Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in pan over medium heat. Season chicken and add to pan, cook for 2-3 minutes, or until well browned. Place over the potatoes.

3) Add the onion, bacon, mushrooms and garlic to pan and cook for a further 5 minutes. Spoon over the chicken and top with remaining potatoes.

4) Poor over cream and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Remove the foil, sprinkle cheese on top and bake for a further 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.

5) Serve with a side of salad.

Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding (serves 4)

Ingredients:

* 1 cup plain flour

* 1 1/2 teas baking powder

* 2 tablespoons cocoa powder

* 1/2 cup brown sugar

* 80g butter, melted and cooled

* 1/2 cup milk

* 1 egg, lightly beaten

Sauce:

* 3/4 cup brown sugar

* 2 tablespoons cocoa powder

* 1 1/4 cups boiling water

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease an 8 cup capacity ovenproof baking dish.

2) Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, butter, milk and egg. Mix until well combined and smooth. Spoon into baking dish. Smooth top.

3) Sprinkle combined sugar and cocoa over pudding (making the sauce)

4) Slowly pour boiling water over the back of a large spoon to cover pudding. The water should sit above the cake mixture. Place dish onto a baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes or until pudding bounces back when pressed gently in the centre.

For an adult twist, try reducing milk to 1/3 cup and adding 2 tablespoons of Kahlua to the pudding in step 1. I didn’t try this because I had no Kahlua on hand, but it sounds good, doesn’t it?!

Naoki loved this dessert – if you love chocolate, it is definitely for you! I remember making a self saucing pudding with my mum ( a different recipe) and I can’t remember there being a lot of sauce. Whereas this recipe, has a lot of sauce!! I found the sauce a little bit too strong for my liking but then again, I’m not really a chocolate fan. I also found that the sauce got thicker and tastier the second night we ate it. The first night it was kind of watery (but I preferred it that way…)

I have now completed number 4 on my 101 things in 1001 day challenge -  ‘learn 20 new recipes’! That won’t stop me trying out and blogging about new recipes I find though. So keep watch for more cooking adventures with Nay

[Via http://nayandnao.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment